Monday, August 18, 2008

Seventh Day...What can I say?...

...No rest for the weary.

This was our "final exam" for week one. "All-day practical application: Microphone, Giving Directions, Sightseeing: Commentary on City Tour Aboard Chartered Motorcoach"

Another intense day. We started out at 8:00 AM on the city tour again. This time we each had to take a turn at the mic in the front of the coach for about 10 minutes which felt like 100. Remembering my own advice the other day at my "Eureka" moment when I figured out that I wouldn't be nervous if only I knew the material and what to say, I watched the commentary of those who went before me and I mentally practiced what I would say about the sites ahead as well as I could estimate where we would be at my turn. However when my turn came we were in a transitional portion of the tour where, shall we say, there is nothing to see! Don't ask what I said...I have no idea!

After the city tour, we crossed the Golden Gate Bridge and continued north to Sausalito, which is a beautiful seaside town with the feel of the some of the towns along the Amalfi Coast. The views there and toward the city of San Francisco were lovely.
Like this....

And these...
As I walked along the pier in Sausalito with two of my classmates, Emily (Michegan) and Christine (California), we came upon the most amazing "street performer" I have ever seen. He was a rock stacker. Words are not needed to describe this...



We walked a little further and this is who we met...



We then got back on the bus and drove north to wine country in Sonoma County to the Viansa Winery http://www.viansa.com/ for a wine tasting. That was nice.
On the ride back to the city we had to take another turn at the mic but this time was more informal. We were asked to speak to the group for about a minute on anything we wanted relevant to San Francisco or California touring. Just another form of Trial by Fire.
As if all that wasn't enough we then had to have a one-on-one evaluation about our performance for the first week, receive a packet of information about a topic that we will have to speak about during our overnight tour next week.
Did I mention that this was an intense day?



7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow !! Chock full of stuff day !! Trial by fire is right - but you made it through..we had no doubt you would.....
the pix are awesome and Nancy will be jealous if she sees that 'cairn' maker !!
Ready for week 2 ????? We are- keep those cards and letters coming......

Anonymous said...

All the pictures are great. I got a kick out of those cairns. Beautiful place. Have fun.

Lady Lif said...

Are you comfortable with the mic yet???? I think they are trying to tell you that you'll be using it a lot! Ookie and Enid say hi!

Can you put an entry in for my blog?? it's feeling neglected.

Anonymous said...

AA - I'm so impressed with all of the book work you are doing in the evenings. Again, the idea that you are "learning" while touring San Fran, Sausalito, and Sonoma is wonderful. Did you learn that Sausalito had the most expensive real estate in the country? Love the rock stacks!

Anonymous said...

Hey
You are busy!
We loved Sausalito too!

Good luck with week # 2

You can do it!!!!!!!!

Unknown said...

glad to hear you made it through your 1st week! sounds more amazing each day. Great job

Anonymous said...

I love the pic of you and the bird! But lordy, I'm tired just reading about your day, lol. Isn't the 7th day supossed to be one of rest? ;)