Sunday, August 10, 2008

The Bomb




I made it. It was a long day of travel, that's bad. But it was fairly uneventful, that's good.


The first flight, Islip to Las Vegas, was 5 hours and my chatty seatmate was, of all things, a photographer who talked my head off about f-stops and cameras and lenses and studios and props and lights and blah blah blah. Aside from the fact that I was so tired from no sleep it wasn't that bad and I figured if I had to be paired with a traveller who loves to talk at least she talked about stuff I knew about.


When I got to Las Vegas and said good-bye to my new best friend I had one hour to make it to my connecting flight. Luckily it wasn't too far but when I got there I found that the flight was delayed 1 hour. Was told boarding would be 12:00 so what the hell, I'll play a slot machine to kill some time. I won $20.00 and figured that not only did I not lose my lunch money, I actually made some money for lunch so I had the worst slice of "New York" pizza known to man. Places that are not New York should not call their stuff "New York" stuff. It isn't.


On the last leg of the flight I sat between two even more chatty women who were actually together so they chatted across me. They chatted about movie stars, my least favorite subject and movie stars clothes, my even more least favorite subject. By the time my eyes were glazing over and my ears were burning I was wishing for my chatty photographer seat-mate.


Just goes to show ya, No matter how annoying things are they can always get more annoying.


I got my luggage, found the shuttle and was delivered to the Mayflower Hotel. Checked in to room 502 and unpacked. Its a very comfortable simple hotel, my room is perfect, the walk-in closet is huge...I should have brought more clothes. And the best part is there is a market right next door. So I bought some basics and I am set.


I'm too tired to explore, I'll leave that for tomorrow. But so far San Francisco is THE BOMB!

4 comments:

Lady Lif said...

Can't wait to see some pix of the infamous SF hills!

Anonymous said...

Hey- Glad you made it OK- I hope those people on the plane are the WORST you'll meet in the next 2 weeks....

Your room looks real cozy and just like some of the pix on the hotel website....

Anonymous said...

Love it! Even despite the less than perfect parts of the trip, lol..I felt like I was right there with you. Can't wait to hear more about your adventures!

Anonymous said...

Al... the way you tell a story... oooffaaa... if you don't love this tour guide thing... you need to write a book, baby!
Miss you, Jul