Sunday, October 12, 2008

I Think....

this could be the best job in the world!


Yesterday we traveled across MA, visiting Williams College in Williamstown where we saw original copies of the founding documents---the Declaration of Independence, the Constitution, and the British reply to the Declaration which, as you can imagine was very interesting to my group. What a treat it was to hear it read by one of my British ladies in her very British accent.
We came across the Mohawk Trail stopping at Shelburne Falls for lunch, visited the Yankee Candle Factory which has way too many candles for anyone to look at or smell. Then we drove the rest of the way to the coast and arrived at this beautiful hotel, the Nantasket Beach Hotel, which is in Hull, MA. We did arrive after dark but that just made everyone's first look at their surroundings more impressive this morning. The hotel is situated on the Massachusetts Bay just southeast of Boston. My room has a balcony facing the Atlantic Ocean. I have a working fireplace, a jacuzzi tub, microwave, coffee pot, and refridgerator. No one else is complaining about their rooms either.


Today we took a guided tour of Boston and then spent free time exploring the city and shopping.

Here are two of my favorite new expressions that I learned from my group:
One lady, commenting on how thin the pillows were in a hotel she once stayed in said she had to "stuff her jumpers" in the pillowcase. I am still laughing about this. (jumpers are sweaters).
Another lady said it was so hot she was "sweating her what-nots off!" I am still trying to determine what "what-nots" are or what "what-nots" are not.

I play music on the bus and award prizes for the correct answers to questions I pose about what we have seen or heard. Today, David our driver commented on how many Dunkin Donuts there are in this area...he LOVES Dunkin Donuts. So I promised a prize to the first person who spotted the next Dunkin Donuts and shouted it out. (I had secretly bought a bucket of Munchkins while in Boston) and when someone shouted out "Dunkin Donuts!" I walked thru the bus and gave everyone a Munchkin. It's really true that "little things mean a lot".

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I LOVE this entry! How fascinating to see all those documents and I can literally smell the Yankee candles!

I never knew what "jumpers" were, so this is great..I have some new vocab! (as for the what nots, I have a good idea, but this is after all a G-rated blog! hehe)

I'm totally envious! Keep these coming!

Anonymous said...

Holy Yumpin' Yiminy- YOU ARE THE BOMB ! What a great trip this is- I hope next week's is even better- especially now, with all your new-found knowledge! You can use 'jumpers' before they do and really knock their 'what-nots' off ! Too bad about your room- maybe you'll get a better one next time...lol !

MORE MORE MORE !!

Anonymous said...

Its the best job in the world and you are the best TD in the world! That's why you got such a great room on the ocean!

:)

Lady Lif said...

Ditto everyone else.... they beat me to the punch and there really is nothing left for me to say except bring home some munchkins and try not to sweat your whatnots off today- it's gonna be a hot one. Can we see pix of the room? Are you gonna like week two'ers as much as week one'ers?

Anonymous said...

It puts a smile on my face to know that you are so happy. Congratulations on finding the best job in the world for you~! xoxo
love you, miss you~!

Anonymous said...

Well done! You get a gold star for the week!

LaSal said...

Stop whining and complaining! ;p

Love the blog, and LOVE the picture of the church being reflected in the other building. Awesome stuff!

Emily said...

You the best!! Great job Alice...I love reading you're daily blogs. Can't wait to see you in Texas to talk about your adventures.

Can you tell me about your driver and do you have photo?

Take care!