Sunday, September 14, 2008

Serendipity and Walmart

This morning we left Hidden Acres Campground and crossed the border into Massachusetts and drove the Mohawk Trail, http://www.mohawktrail.com/, a beautiful scenic drive that goes thru several small picturesque towns. The first one we stopped at was Shelburne Falls. Of course we saw the falls,
and the Bridge of Flowers which is America's answer to Florence's Ponte Vecchio only without the gold jewelry.
I spoke to a local shopkeeper about bringing my tour group there in October, got brochures, maps and lots of good information. We drove on to Claremont where we saw the monument to Native Americans created by Italian Sculptor Joseph Pollina called "Hail to the Sunrise", a beautiful statue and an impressive number of memorial stones to Native Americans.

All of this so far has been fabulous but I guess you are wondering where the serendipity comes into play...well, the next town we drove to was Stockbridge, where I needed to find the Yankee Candle Store because it is on the October Tour itinerary. After making a wrong turn and backtracking what amounted to 9 miles we found Stockbridge and the candle store. Right next to Yankee Candle is The Red Lion Hotel, where we noticed a lot of activity involving video equipment and lighting and sound checks. As we soon found out they were preparing to shoot tomorrow's (Monday) episode of Good Morning America.

So we stood around a while watching the activity, I talked to the manager about possibly taking my group here for lunch in October and who did we see get out of a bus in front of the hotel but Diane Sawyer, Robin Roberts, Chris Cuomo and James Taylor!

We took lots of pictures then got back in the coach to proceed on our journey, simply amazed at the "serendipity" of having made a wrong turn that brought us back to the place we were looking for just in time to walk into the middle of Good Morning America!

Tonight we are spending the night in the Walmart parking lot in Springfield, MA.

Like I said before...You Can't Make This Stuff Up!!!






8 comments:

Emily said...

Thought I'd check your site before turning in...So glad I did! It made my night Ms Alice! Remember what Randy said, things just happen...cool experience with the Good Morning Show!
Your brother must have had been thrilled! Good luck tomorrow!

Anonymous said...

Very cool ! Now, not only can you be a tour director and talk about all these places, you can be a real name dropper too ! Who will you meet tomorrow ? Ted Kennedy ?

Anonymous said...

This is too exciting! You're going to be such an awesome, serendipity catching, beloved tour director! I ran for the TV upon reading this, to see if I see you guys.

((Of course, upon seeing the reporters on TV, and the so-called reporters in your blog pics, I realize....

YOU MADE THIS STUFF UP!!!))

Alice said...

How can you say that Laura? I am watching it now...they are on the train, just saw them in exactly the same clothes they are wearing in my pictures! (ABC Good Morning America)

Anonymous said...

Should I even ask why they are wearing the SAME clothes they were wearing yesterday? Maybe you should have directed them to the Walmart for new clothes. Congrats! Now you can get your group expectations super high that maybe they'll meet someone famous on your tour!

I have a stupid desk job, and am unable to run to my TV this morning. I knew I should have called in sick...

Lady Lif said...

Oooooooooh jealous!! I love James Taylor!!!!!!!

Joe Mattioli said...

Alice ... I got up early this morning to watch the show ... looked all over for you .. and the stupid camera was focusing on James Taylor. what are they nutz ?? lol Don't they know your certified ITMI ? Well the nerve of them ... This is just too cool... Love the pics and commentary, Your living a lot of peoples dreams. Keep it up . Ciao Bella

Anonymous said...

Are you sure didn't photo shop the same clothes onto FAKE ABC Good Morning America reporters, just so you could make this stuff up?