Wednesday, October 21, 2009

I Scream, You Scream, We All Scream for Ice Cream

Today one of our stops in Vermont was at the Queechee Gorge a 13,000 year old canyon cut during the Ice Age. One of the favorite things at this stop for my previous groups has been the ice cream shop at the gift shop complex after the gorge. There are picnic tables and it is a nice break to order an ice cream cone and sit at the tables when the weather is nice.
Today everything was perfect for such a break. So I told the group about the wonderful little shop with the delicious flavors and the picnic tables in the beautiful setting by the 13,000 year- old gorge. When we got there everyone on the bus immediately lined up to order their ice cream.
As I watched the line NOT move for several minutes I went over to see what the hold-up was. When I got there I realized that there was only one clerk taking orders, receiving money and scooping ice cream into cones. The process was clearly overwhelming, she was clearly unable to work any faster than she was, the group was clearly getting impatient and I could clearly see my day's schedule melting into chaos.
What to do?
I worked my way to the front of the line and said to the girl, “Can I help you? Can I come inside and help scoop the ice cream?” I really expected her to say, “No” but to my surprise and everyone else’s she said…”Yes, please.” So I went inside and quickly began taking orders, and scooping ice cream, and receiving money….Tammy even showed me how to use the cash register!
It was very funny, everyone got their cones, and when I finished with the last order, Tammy thanked me enthusiastically and told me I could have any size ice cream cone I wanted! I came out with my cone and everyone was sitting at the picnic tables in the beautiful setting by the 13,000 year-old gorge eating ice cream just like they were supposed to!
And we left the Queechee Gorge right on schedule.

7 comments:

Pete said...

There is only one way to help and you got got it right. How much money did you take in, how many flavors did you sell, how many flavors did you have, how many flavors didn't you have, were all of your people happy to see you.

kathy said...

THIS is why you rock as a tour director !!!

Where in the manuals did they tell you to do this ??

kathy and honour said...

Wow - you sure took control there!
did you enjoy your ice cream??

Nancy said...

Leave it to you AA to take control and get things moving again. Awesome!! Wasn't it wortht he frre ice cream?

Ann Orlando said...

Sounds like a blast, I love that she let you help. Makes for a better story than if you all got mad and it took hours and ruined your trip. Awesome !!

Chrissy Lif said...

Is there anything you can't do??!?!?! ;-)

LaSal said...

You do realize this could only happen to you....right?